Easter Seals Serving DC | MD | VA is looking for an Accounting Controller that is responsible for the integrity of the financial reporting of ESDCMDVA. Lead the accounting staff and operating managers to develop systems and processes that ensure timely and accurate financial reporting. In addition, manage the day-to-day activity of 3-5 direct reports in the accounting department and coordinate closely with all operating areas of the organization. Also be the primary liaison to the external auditors. This position reports directly to the CFO.
Daily Accounting Operations
- Manage processing and reporting of all financial transactions, including accounts receivable, accounts payable, cash receipts, general journal entries, grant accounting, etc.
- Maintain a sound system of internal controls, separation of duties, etc.
- Maintain a robust set of accounting policies and procedures and ensure that all operating areas of the organization are fully trained on such policies and procedures and are implementing them effectively.
- Develop a cash flow forecasting process and advise the CFO regarding cash management strategies.
- Conduct ad hoc analyses as requested by the CEO and/or CFO.
- Answer questions from Easter Seals staff concerning organization, departmental, or program finances.
Monthly Closing and Financial Reporting
- Ensure all entries required for the monthly close are properly posted to the general ledger, and monthly financial reports are produced in a timely manner.
- Review and distribute monthly departmental and program financial reports.
- Analyze and summarize organization and department/program financial results compared with annual budget.
- Manage the preparation of monthly reporting materials for the CFO, CEO, and Program management.
- Along with the CFO, meet monthly with department heads and program managers to discuss financial performance of their respective areas, and develop plans to correct any significant variances against budget.
- Review accounts receivable aging schedule and advise the CFO regarding reserves and A/R write-offs.
- Produce quarterly forecast of company business activity and financial position.
- Mange production of quarterly reporting to ES Board of Directors.
Annual Budget & Periodic Financial Reports for Grants, etc.
- Working with the CFO, department heads and program managers, prepare and maintain the annual operating budget.
- Assist in the development of an on-going forecasting and planning process.
- Focus on process improvement throughout the budget process seeking greater levels of automation, i.e, less manual input.
- Work with Grant Management team to produce required financial reports for all grants, contracts and programs.
Audits, Tax Returns, etc.
- Co-ordinate all audits as required including annual audits of the financial statements, retirement plan, and Federal grant programs.
- Serve as the main day-to-day contact with auditors and examiners. Ensure timely submission of requested information and schedules.
- Maintain a list of year-end adjustments developed during the annual financial audit (whether suggested by the auditors or identified by Easter Seals staff). Post year-end adjustments to the general ledger.
- Co-ordinate the annual “close” of the accounting system.
- Ensure timely filing of IRS Form 990 and Form 5500.
- Ensure timely payment and filing of state and county property taxes as required.
- Design and conduct periodic “internal audits” of various operating reporting functions.
- Four year B.S. in accounting or equivalent - required
- CPA - strongly preferred (will consider industry or military experience in lieu)
- Alignment with ESDCMDVA’s core values of respect, responsibility, integrity, innovation, and care
- Excellent oral communication skills and ability to explain financial and accounting concepts and procedures to staff outside the finance/accounting department
- Strong team-building skills and ability to influence team members who are not direct reports
- Experience and familiarity with non-profit accounting - preferred
- Experience with Abila MIP Fund Accounting system (formerly Sage) and the DrillPoint report writer – preferred
- Ability to cope effectively with job pressures and stress.