Overview of Easter Seals Serving DC/MD/VA
Easter Seals Inc. was founded in 1919 and has grown to become a national leader in offering help, hope and answers to more than a million children and adults living with autism, Alzheimer's disease, and other disabilities or special needs each year. Easter Seals operates through a network of self-governing, financially independent affiliates.
Easter Seals Serving DC/MD/VA (www.eseal.org) is the affiliate serving Washington, D.C., Maryland, and Northern Virginia. For more than 75 years, we have been at the forefront of providing exceptional services to ensure that all people with disabilities or special needs and their families have equal opportunities to live, learn, work, and play in our community. Our community-based programs are designed to support and strengthen families, enrich the lives of individuals with disabilities, create stronger communities, and reduce system-wide health care costs.
Working Schedule: On Call as needed
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Position Summary: The RN is responsible for all medical needs of the ADS participants. This position reports to the Center Director.
- Develop and amend health policies and procedures.
- Monitor client's health needs, changes in condition, and provides medical support for emergency situations.
- Initiate CPR and first aid measures in emergency situations as warranted.
- Supervise health services and advise Director regarding health and related programs.
- Serve as liaison for participants and caregivers around medical issues.
- Act as liaison to Medical Director.
- Monitor medications of participants needing supervision for medication administration.
- Administer medications to participants who are not able to self-administer.
- Store, prepare, administer and document medications in accordance with Maryland Medical Adult Day Care regulations.
- Perform treatments as ordered by participants' physicians.
- Provide for personal care and assistance with ADLs and train other employees as appropriate.
- Monitor vital signs and document.
- Maintain accurate participant medical records to include: monthly and quarterly nursing progress notes, complete and maintain ADCAPS in a timely fashion, document physician's orders.
- Serve as a member of the multi-disciplinary team. Coordinate care plan schedule with team, and develop all nursing related care plans.
- Coordinate services between Easter Seals Home and Community Therapy Program, Podiatry Services, and any other on-site services related to medical care.
- Present at least two staff inservice trainings per year addressing issues of aging and Standard Precautions.
- Maintain contact with family/caregiver on a regular basis. Follow-up with all caregivers of participants on Medical Leave of Absence.
- Provide a health related presentation and/or activity to participants each month.
- Develop and implement Quality Assurance program, monitoring and evaluating the program in relation to licensing requirements.
- Insure the safety of the participants at all levels of the Center including transportation.
- In conjunction with the Activities Coordinator, temporarily assume Center Director's responsibilities in her absence.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Registered Nurse with current Maryland license required.
- Minimum of three years in geriatric nursing
- Current CPR and first aid preferred.
- Two years experience in management with senior population in health care setting.
- Ability to communicate appropriately and effectively with participants, families, caregivers and the professional community.
- Excellent verbal as well as written communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Software
- Proficiency in reading, writing and speaking the English language.
- Ability to interact effectively and professionally with participants, families and community referral sources.
- Must be able to follow instructions quickly and easily and seek out direction promptly.
- Must be able to handle multiple tasks.
- Must be able to work with minimal supervision after instruction is provided.
- Must be aware of potential hazards or problems within the environment and seek out supervision promptly.
- Must be aware of confidentiality of client information.
- Ability to take initiative and problem-solve.
Certificates and Licenses:
- Register Nurse in State of Maryland
- CPR and First Aid
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.