|Seeking a US Veteran, National Guardsman, Reservist and/or Military Spouse to apply for a Senior Animal Technician position. Facilitate daily operations of an animal facility, perform specialized technical procedures, and assist in experiments. Position requires 5+ years’ experience with live laboratory animals, plus either a Bachelor’s in Biology/Animal Science/etc or a laboratory animal technician certificate.
Responsibilities: Veteran Military
- Provide technical, housekeeping, and record-keeping tasks.
- Collect, verify, and correlate facility records and make timely reports to the supervisor.
- Collect blood, tissue and various fluid samples from nonhuman primates, ferrets and mice.
- Perform various IV, SC, intranasal and intramuscular injections.
- Assist with necropsy procedures, including tissue collection.
- Perform anesthesia and euthanasia if needed.
- Read and understand standard operating procedures (SOPs) for facilities.
- Perform routine inoculations.
- Assist in the processing and shipment of serum/tissue samples.
- Attend seminars and training.
- Assist and perform limited and supervised duties of project managers.
Requirements: Veteran Military
- Bachelor’s in Biology, Animal Science, or related field;
- OR College-level Laboratory Animal Technician program graduate;
- OR AALAS certificate (ALAT, LAT or LATG) plus 1+ year in biomedical research
- US Veteran, National Guardsman, Reservist or Military Spouse
- 5+ years’ hand-on experience with live animals
- Knowledge of care and handling of laboratory animals plus their biology and physical characteristics
- Ability to recognize signs of illness and abnormalities
- Knowledge of methods and materials used in laboratory work
- Ability to work and communicate professionally with investigators, supervisors and caretakers
- Ability to make accurate observations, plus keep current, accurate, and complete records
- Ability to read, understand, and interpret written and oral instruction, plus perform math calculations for experimental procedures.